How many different ways have you tried to get white, sparkly teeth? The Internet has all kinds of options, from teeth whitening strips to natural remedies like baking soda and lemon juice, or gargling apple cider vinegar. But have you heard of whitening your teeth with oil? Learn about the oil pulling method and why people are raving about this natural remedy for stained teeth!
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is the ancient Ayurvedic ritual where oils are used to detoxify the body, kill bacteria in the mouth, and whiten teeth naturally. Coconut, sesame, and olive oil are just a few popular oils used for whitening.
How to oil pull:
- Take a teaspoon of your preferred oil.
- Gently swish the oil around in your mouth for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, swishing and pulling the oil through your teeth.
- Spit the oil out in a tissue and throw in the garbage (don’t spit down the sink, it will clog the drain!)
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
Oils and oral health
Oil pulling isn’t just a teeth whitening technique – it does amazing things for your overall oral health. Coconut oil and other edible oils have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that work to prevent cavities and bad breath. By removing bacteria, the oil prevents plaque buildup, which in turn strengthens gums and helps prevent gingivitis and more serious forms of gum disease (periodontitis).
- Don’t swallow the oil! You don’t want that bacteria from your mouth to stay in your body.
- Oil pulling is most effective in the morning before you eat or brush your teeth. This is because your mouth has the most bacteria when you first wake up. Plus, it can be easy to forget before bed with a busy schedule.
- The longer you oil pull, the more bacteria will be drawn from the mouth.
- Do something productive while you oil pull! It’s easy to multitask while whitening naturally: clean your room, play an instrument or kick back with a good book and let the oil work its magic!
- Natural teeth whitening doesn’t happen overnight: the best results occur approximately four months into your oil-pulling regimen. Keep at it!
follow us @kissimmee_family_dentistry